Devon Under 19s

2001 Season 's Report


Played 5  Won 0  Lost 1   Drawn 1  Won on first innings 3    Lost on first innings 0

Semi-Finalist ECB National Two-Day Competition


The ECB Under 19 County Championship

v DORSET at Exmouth C.C. - Devon won on first innings

DEVON               282 all out   (N.Bettiss 114, J.Wardrop 58)

DORSET             138 all out   (N.Price 3-23, J.Wardrop 3-33)

                          110–7     (R.Foan 5-37)


v WILTSHIRE at Swindon C.C. – Devon won on first innings

DEVON              304-9 dec   (T.Anning 30, J.Gibson 72, N.Price 69, D.Lobb 46)

WILTSHIRE        251 all out   (D.Field 4-30, R.Foan 4-66)


v BERKSHIRE at Sandford C.C. – Match Drawn

DEVON             450-5     (N.Bettiss 113, R.Holman 36, T.Anning 156*)

BERKSHIRE      322-6     


v CORNWALL at Truro C.C. - Devon won on first innings

CORNWALL     122 all out   (D.Field 4-42, R.Foan 5-30)

                       102-6 dec   

DEVON           143 all out   (T.Anning 32)


Quarter Final - 100 Overs

v LEICESTERSHIRE at Wellington College - Devon won by 26 runs

DEVON            193 all out   (S.Edmonds 43, T.Anning 46)

LEICESTERSHIRE   167 all out   (N.Price 3-33, S.Edmonds 3-36)


Semi Final - 100 Overs

v WARWICKSHIRE at Stratford-upon-Avon C.C. - Devon lost by 8 wickets

DEVON           185 all out   (N.Bettiss 72)




The 2001 Squad T.Anning (Captain), M.Bettiss, N.Bettiss, T.Beer S.Edmonds, D.Field, R.Foan, J.Gibson, R.Holman, G.Larcombe, D.Lobb, N.Price, J.Wardrop


Another remarkable season, as for the fourth year running Devon won their group and advanced to the Quarter Finals, and for the third time in four years progressed to the National Semi-Finals – an amazing record. Sadly, with the proposed reorganisation planned by the ECB, 2002 will be the county's last opportunity to pick up this particular crown. The side performed as a team with many vital contributions from individuals, resulting in outstanding team performances.


The superb Maer Ground at Exmouth was the venue for our first game against Dorset, who disappointingly has dropped out of this competition in 2002. The side was captained by Trevor Anning who was inexperienced in this particular role but, as the season progressed, he blossomed into a top captain leading from the front with his troops totally behind him. Anning won the toss and batted on a typical Exmouth track. Damp conditions and rain delayed the start until 1.00pm and Dorset made early inroads as the Devon top order was reduced to 88-4, 121-5 and 133-6 off 52 overs. Batting through this mayhem was the side's number 3 Neil Bettiss and he was joined by one of the only true under 19s in the side Jamie Wardrop. The seventh wicket partnership put on 116 in 104 minutes off 175 balls and in the process Wardrop scored his maiden county fifty. He was seventh out for 58. He struck six fours, batted in all 93 minutes and faced the same number of balls. A vital knock that had helped take his side to 249. Five runs later his partner was caught after scoring his maiden under 19 century on his debut for the side. Quite an achievement but Neil Bettiss is an exceptional player. He came in at 27 and saw 227 runs added to his side's total. His own contribution was 115 (231 minutes, 189 balls, 16 fours) a key innings in the circumstances! Take out the 36 extras and the 169 runs scored by Wardrop and Bettiss and the final contribution of 74 from the remaining nine was somewhat disappointing, despite the side batting into the second day as the final pairing of Gary Larcombe and Marc Bettiss put on 19.


Dorset's batsmen struggled from the outset as Devon's opening attack of Anning and Nat Price had them at 15-2 after ten overs with both bowlers taking a wicket. Wardrop, who had opened the attack the previous season and was now bowling off a shorter run up to help him over a no bowling problem, picked up two wickets as Dorset were in trouble at 35-4. With an injured player not able to bat, Devon bowled Dorset out for 139 with Price (3-23) and Wardrop (3-33) making the leading contributions and left-armer Richard Foan picking up a couple of wickets. At 3.15 in the afternoon and in the hope of picking up some additional points, Anning invited Dorset to follow on and his side reduced them to 110-7 at close of play. This time Richard Foan played the important role picking up 5-37 off seventeen overs. He was helped by some excellent catching and, had it not been for Langford's undefeated 43, Devon might have picked up additional points. However the final haul was a satisfactory start to the season.


A number of the under 17 squad travelled on from their successful first innings defeat of Cornwall to take on Wiltshire at Swindon. It was fortunate that they did so, as they were to make important contributions. Anning again won the toss and for the second successive game the top order failed to produce the goods and after twenty-two overs Devon was uncomfortably placed at 73-5. However the under 17-captaincy team of James Gibson and Nat Price dug deep to put on 113 for the sixth wicket. Both passed fifty – Gibson in 124 minutes off 128 balls and Price in 175 minutes and off 147 balls. Gibson was bowled on 186 having scored a brilliant 72 (171 minutes, 172 balls), how can he doubt his ability at seventeen's! Price was proving to be the rock of Devon cricket, as over two days he had batted for 438 minutes, faced 450 balls, scored 124 runs and bowled 24.4 overs. No wonder at close of play he was totally knackered and did not take a great part in the second day! As the under 19s first choice keeper Marc Bettiss was playing for the West of England under 15s and therefore unavailable for this match, batsman Daniel Lobb stood in behind the stumps. However, before playing a key role on the second day, he batted exceptionally well on the first to support Price and keep the tail together and finished undefeated on 46 (6 fours, 89 minutes and 78 balls). Anning called his batters in at 5.36pm considering that his side's score of 304-9 was sufficient and in the hope of picking up a wicket or two. After nine overs Wiltshire were 31-0 with one missed chance but the side left the ground still reflecting on a great recovery by the later batsmen; one of the strengths of this side is that they can all bat.


The second day brought tension as Devon was not in the driving seat until the hundredth over when Wiltshire, who had reached 237, lost their sixth wicket. The game was interestingly poised and, if the later batsmen were as good as Devon's, the visitors could be in trouble. Fortunately the home side did not bat deep and were bowled out for 251 in one hundred and nine overs. Keeper Lobb took a vital early stumping to break an opening partnership of 55, Gary Larcombe with the help of his fellow spinner David Field removed the dangerous Clarke seven short of his hundred and Field and Foan picked up four wickets apiece. The game was really very eveningly poised right up until 4.42 p.m. but Wiltshire capitulated to be all out by 5.11 p.m. a remarkable turnabout but still a great result!


Our second home fixture was at the beautiful Sandford ground and Chris Theedom provided us with a batting belter. For some unknown reason Berkshire invited Devon to bat, they took a good fifteen minutes to make the decision and Devon thanked them with a scoring rate of 4.84 an over as they put on a record Devon under 19 score of 450-5 off 93 overs. A couple of changes were made with Rob Holman making his debut and replacing his Kings College colleague Tom Beer and West of England keeper Marc Bettiss coming in for Gary Larcombe. Richard Foan on his home ground was removed at 16. Steven Edmonds and Neil Bettiss took the score to 68 after twenty overs. Edmonds departure allowed debutant Holman to enter the fray as he and Bettiss took the score on to 133. Holman was very positive in his approach and that has never been one of Bettiss's failings. However Holman got himself out when he shouldn't have, being well set on 36 (1 six, 6 fours, 53 minutes, 51 balls), and his departure brought the captain to the wicket. The fourth wicket partnership took the score to 260 Bettiss eventually fell for his second under nineteen century of the season. He had scored 113 off 203 balls in 211 minutes hitting seventeen fours and he showed his home club what a talent they had obtained. His departure did not affect the captain, who the previous year had featured in a record seventh wicket partnership of 251 having fallen five runs short of his maiden century. He did not make the same mistake this year as he advanced to his maiden hundred (180 minutes, 120 balls) in the company of the under 17 captain James Gibson, yet another Sandford player. They took the score to 423, putting on 163 for the fifth wicket, yet another Devon under 19 record as it exceeded the partnership of Gibson's brother David and Jeremy Williams at Suffolk. A tired Gibson was caught for 68 off only 70 balls in 83 minutes including two sixes and a five fours. Price joined his captain to help his average and see his captain past a personal milestone of 150 – some maiden century! When Anning took his side in as they past 450, he was undefeated on 156 the second highest ever Devon under 19 score and only five runs short of the record held by his former Feniton club mate, David Court. He batted 212 minutes faced 147 balls hit two sixes and twenty-one fours. A wonderful example to his side. Having batted so long Anning was unable to open the bowling and after nine overs Berkshire were 27-0 at close of play.


The next day Berkshire was determined to make up for their error of inviting the home side to bat and on a perfect batting track were 128 runs short with four wickets in hand. Anning and Field picked up a couple of wickets and Price and Foan one apiece. For all their brilliance Devon only picked up two points on their likely rivals, who had played every possible trick in the book to ensure a draw, for the group title.


A wet and depressingly showery Truro was the venue for the side's final and crucial group game against Cornwall when guts and determination were to see the side through to the quarterfinals. Devon invited Cornwall to bat and the captain took an early wicket. However, after losing some time for a lost ball, rain interrupted play at 11.35 and almost an hour's play was lost before lunch. A total of 207 minutes was lost due to rain and Cornwall was eventually bowled out at 6.21pm for 122 with off spinner David Field taking 4-42 off 20 overs and left arm spinner Richard Foan taking 5-30 off 19.5 overs. The day's play did not finish happily for Devon as Strick removed Edmonds and Neil Bettiss in three balls to leave Devon 8-2 and 14-2 at close of play. In brighter conditions the next day Holman suicidally ran himself out at 35 but Foan had unselfishly dropped anchor. He and Trevor Anning seemed to be taking Devon past their initial target, as they reached 79 after thirty-one overs, when Foan was dismissed for an important 100 ball and minute 20. Seven runs later Anning gave a return catch after batting 49 minutes for his 32 and Devon was back on their heels at 86-5. The manager was now on one of his infamous walks, exploring the scenery around the Truro estuary. Fortunately the lower middle order had the ability and resolve to fight it out in difficult conditions with fielders around the bat. Gibson batted 46 minutes for his ten, Price 43 minutes for 7 but again it was Daniel Lobb who played his second key rearguard innings of the season. In the company of under 15 keeper Marc Bettiss he steered his side into a first innings lead and important points, when forty minutes after lunch Devon reached their target in the sixty-first over with two wickets in hand. Lobb batted one hour and three minutes facing 86 balls for his vital 20. Bettiss was undefeated on ten as Devon were all out for 143. The slide rules were out as Devon decided on how many bonus points could be picked up in the remaining play. Sufficient had been gained when Cornwall declared at 5.30pm on 102-6 to allow Devon to move on to the quarterfinals. Wickets were shared between all the bowlers including Neil Bettiss!


For the fourth successive year the side made the long trip for the quarterfinal to Wellington College, which was becoming a second home. Unfortunately Wellington College is no longer a venue in 2002. Devon's opponents Leicestershire became yet another of the 18 first-class counties to cross off our list after another heroic win. As normal our opponents, pleased to be playing us, invited us to bat. It was now a straight one hundred over knockout cricket and we set out our normal game plan to bat the opposition out of the game. At last Steven Edmonds showed his special talent, which had lain dormant during the season, with a typical Edmonds' innings. He was third out at 105 falling seven short of his fifty, which took 88 minutes, and of the 64 balls he faced, six were hit to the boundary. The captain Trevor Anning was the only other batsman to put together a half respectable total against a good attack which included an England under 19 player who had been featuring in the recent test series. Anning went three better than Edmonds and his 46 took 84 minutes and 73 balls, of which eight were despatched to the boundary. Just after three o'clock Devon was all out and the final total of 193 was definitely below par. Would the game be over by close of play? Fortunately not and three hours later Leicestershire was 93-4 after 48 overs. At one stage they had been 55-4 off twenty overs with Edmonds bowling a telling spell of seven overs taking 3-16, with Foan taking the other wicket. Edmonds' (18-3-36-3) vital spell put us back in contention and, although our opponents had held back some batting, they knew that it was not going to be easy on the second day. That evening we visited the magnificent Madejski Stadium to watch England Under 21s trounce their Dutch counterparts, thanks mainly to a brilliant opening goal from an Aston Villa player – Darius Vassell. Villa's second representative, Gareth Barry, had a tremendous game in defence. The evening had been a good diversion from the matter in hand.


The second day brought another fine summer's day with Leicestershire requiring 100 runs with six wickets remaining and 312 balls available. Surely game over. The fifth wicket partnership took the score to 121 after 61 overs when Trevor Anning trapped Wright leg before (72 runs needed, 5 wickets and 235 balls remaining). Then David Field, with the help of a catch from Jamie Wardrop, removed the dangerous Geary for 46 (now 30 runs, 4 wickets, 135 balls). Field was bowling another wonderful spell, his final figures were 19-8-36-2 – great stuff. With Leicestershire poised at 163-6 it was still anyone's game but not in the view of Nat Price as he finished them off with a spell of 4.1 overs, 2 maidens 10 runs and 3 wickets. Game over. Price (8.1-2-33-2) simply charged in and, with two LBW's and a caught behind, was just unplayable. Field took the other wicket as Leicestershire fell away to 167 all out off 83.1 overs. Another of those victories for the memory bank, this time by 26 runs, it was a pleasure to watch. The virtue of teamwork has never been bettered demonstrated.


The semi-final was to be a home fixture for our opponents Warwickshire at the excellent Stratford-upon-Avon ground. Anning did the business and won the toss and batted. The openers fell at 21 and 44 but a third wicket partnership of 101 between Rob Holman and Neil Bettiss put Devon in charge. The top brass of Warwickshire including Bob Woolmer witnessed a superb batting performance, which was giving Devon the initiative. Sadly Holman fell LBW to Joshi, who has been a pain in the past, and sin of sins Bettiss was stumped six runs later. Holman scored 29 (129 minutes, 123 balls, 4 fours) and Bettiss 72 (155 minutes, 140 minutes, 11 fours) and had placed Devon in a reasonable position but subsequently only Anning and Gibson reached double figures and three of the last five batsmen were out for ducks as Devon was bowled out for 185 –memories of Leicestershire. A sad and disappointing end –I knew something was wrong as the phone stopped ringing in the Isle of Wight! The captain took a wicket first ball but by 12.35pm the next day the game was over as Bell and Westwood put on 178 for the second wicket. Warwickshire took 68 overs to score the runs, so typically Devon never gave in. The vital lesson to be learnt is that this squad was good enough but did not have sufficient self-belief when it counted most.


As usual our thanks to the Devon Society of Umpires, our superb hosts Exmouth and Sandford and our outstanding parents. David Gibson was paid the greatest of all compliments when he was invited to take the squad to the semi-finals. David's contribution now is colossal; all we can hope is that he gets a teaching appointment in the South West. Thank you scorer, I actually do know and appreciate your contribution. I am going to miss under 19 cricket; I have derived so much pleasure from watching the cream of Devon playing together. You have one final season before we revert to a 50 over slog so enjoy it.


The Peter Atkinson Young Cricketer of the Year Trophy was awarded to Trevor Anning for his leadership and all round contribution to the side including his maiden hundred. We started this report indicating our possible concern for Trevor's inexperience as a captain. No one should have been concerned as he was simply – brilliant. Trevor thank you.