Under 21s

Last Ball Thriller

Cornwall v Devon Truro C.C. 22 nd July


From a neutralís point of view this was a truly great game of cricket from where the writer was sitting it became one once the last ball of the match had been sliced through the slip area for two match winning runs! It was one of those thrilling matches that were incredibly difficult to sit through without kicking something, the puppy did not seem appropriate.


On arrival at Truro it was damp, overcast and obvious there had been some problems with covering which transpired was due to a league match on the previous Sunday. After much work by the host club it was agreed to play this 50 over game on the Sunday league pitch. Much to the surprise and unconcealed relief of the visitors Cornwall ís captain Martin Pearce batted. Bobby Dawson made the first impression bowling both Farris and Tunnadaine the latter without offering a stroke and the off stump cart wheeling. This left the home side 34-2 after twelve overs but Lee was batting with some confidence in difficult conditions. It was Lee and Hunkin who had destroyed Somerset ís hopes in their first match and they were now together putting on 39 valuable runs. Hunkin gave a chance off Edmonds but it was the spinners Richard Foan and Tom Wright, who had taken over the Cathedral end from Dawson who put the home side under further pressure. Hunkin walked past an off break from Wright and was neatly stumped by Marc Bettiss for 22. At 78 Barber became Foanís first victim caught by Edmonds . Lee was batting through, giving only one boundary chance and was now joined by the home skipper. They progressed the score to 102 as Pearce became the fifth wicket when he was bowled by Wright. Smeeth came and went thanks to a wonder right handed catch by Wright off Foan, the ball seemed past him as he fully extended his arm and he caught it! At 109-6 off forty-one overs Devon could be reasonable satisfied and the innings key wicket was then taken as Neil Bettiss held a fine tumbling catch at long off to remove Lee. He had batted eleven minutes over two hours, facing 128 balls hitting eight fours and a six. This over age player had held his side together. He was out on off spinners David Fieldís first delivery and was to become the first of his three victims. Rob Harrison and keeper Peter Edwards then put on 32 crucial runs for the eighth wicket which took the score to 149. Field then bowled Edwards and Munday in successive balls and Ivamy survived the hat trick and last ball of the innings.